1. Grasp the bar with a wide grip with an overhand, knuckles up grip. Other positions and grips are possible but start with this standard position.
2. Pull the bar down until it’s approximately level with the chin. Exhale on down motion. While shifting just slightly backward is OK, aim to keep your upper torso stationary. Keep your feet flat on the floor and engage your abs as you pull. The bottom of the motion should be where your elbows can’t move downward any more without moving backward. Be sure to stop at that point and do not go lower.
3. Squeeze the shoulder blades together while maintaining square shoulders.
4. From the bottom position with the bar close to your chin, slowly return the bar to the starting position while controlling its gradual ascent. Don’t let it crash into the weight plates.
5. Continue until you complete eight to 12 repetitions in a set. Rest, then continue to complete your program of sets.